Sunday 7 August 2011

REVIEW OF SUPER 8

I will admit that I have not been JJ Abrams' biggest fan. I always referred to him as an over rated hack who had no original ideas but still got called a genius. Maybe it's the way the media builds him up on this that creates the image that I don't share. Or maybe it's because the Trekkie in me didn't totally agree with his take on "Star Trek", which alough was a great movie I had some gripes he changed to make it more marketable to the mainstream.

With Star Trek XI I admitted that a great film was made and perhaps I was too harsh JJ Abrams and the same can be said about Super 8. It is a very good film which captures a classic era of cinema that I thought was lost to the mainstream of today. Abrams sticks to good old school and never loses sight of the characters amongst the visual effects. The kids are all excellent in this film and through their eyes we get a hearwarming story in this movie.

There seems to be a love for classic cinema as there is a vibe from this film that reminded me of films such as ET and Close Encounters, both Spielberg classics that Abrams is obviously trying to emulate. In fact I would say that perhaps Abrams tries so hard to replicate the Spielberg vibe that this film does not feel as wholly original as it should have.

This is why I don't call Abrams a genius, his ideas seem to be spins on things that already have been done but what I do admire about him is that he uses old school techniques and has a love for making something good rather than just firing it on the conveyor belt to make a fast buck, a problem I have with a lot of marvel comic book movies these days is the assembly line feel they have to promote The Avengers movie. I am glad Abrams makes movies he believes work on an emotional element.

The performances are work well in this film and I was plesantly surprised with this movie. Is it the best ever film I ever saw. No. But I do think it is helping me relent a little towards Abrams. Just a little.

4 out of 5

3 comments:

  1. ", his ideas seem to be spins on things that already have been done"

    I'd say that's a fair comment- cloverfield was just a rehash of old monster films etc. But to be fair, there is the theory there's only seven plots/stories with things being variations of them. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Basic-Plots-Tell-Stories/dp/0826480373)

    Dare I ask, how much lense flare was there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were quite a few lens flares but I felt he showed a little restraint in comparison to Star Trek XI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to it now! Thank Neill. Cloverfield has a lot more going for it than a rehashing of old monster films. Cloverfield has the ability to take (in an allegorical sense) the feelings associated with 9/11 to another level. Yeah it's a Godzilla movie but it packs much more intimation imagery than any 'monster movie' I've seen as it bears a strong resemblance to the actual authentic events.

    ReplyDelete